Tasty, Healthy Foods

Posted by javanuddin on Tuesday, February 28, 2012

If you've looked around you, you can see that we in the U.S. have a growing problem...literally. Large numbers of us are fat and getting fatter. Part of it is related to culture, part of it to stress but to my mind, most of it is because of flavor. Who wants to eat something that doesn't taste good?

I've had to learn ways around that issue. I was 260 lbs, and that was causing me a lot of physical problems. I've been working on slimming down for about five years, and I've done fairly well, but there's still work to do.

In that time, I've learned how to replace some of the high calorie, high fat foods that we love so much with other foods that are just as tasty. I'd like to share a bit of that with you.

Avocados: Yes, they have a lot of fat in them, but it's monounsaturated. That makes it a healthy fat, and we do need some of it in our diet. Don't go overboard on them, but they are on the safe to eat list, and mixed with some salsa they make a great snack.

Balsamic Vinegar: There is a particular brand of ranch dressing I love, and finding something to replace it hasn't been easy. A high quality aged balsamic vinegar has finally done it. I am very particular about it, though. The cheaper brands at the supermarket do not compare with the more expensive ones. You should find one aged in a barrel at least eight years. The longer, the better, believe me.

Egg Substitutes: I'm not overly fond of them scrambled on my breakfast plate, but other than that they perform the actions of a real egg without the fat, cholesterol or calories. They even work in custards.

Fat Free Dairy: Sour cream, yogurt and half and half made fat free are good replacements. Fat free milk and cheese not so much so, at least for me. I use the reduced fat products in those categories.

Olive Oil: Tablespoon for tablespoon, lard has 65 more calories than olive oil, and the oil has a delicate flavor that enhances many savory dishes. Get the best oil you can afford, as it does make a difference.

Seasonings: This is where you can take your dishes and make them shine. Avoid salt as much as possible, we get too much of it as it is. Instead, use black or cayenne pepper, cumin, garlic and every other denizen of your spice rack. They not only add a lot of flavor, they all have constituents often used in herbal remedies.

It may take more time to find healthy foods that taste good to you, but as you can see, it can be done. Look around on-line for substitutes that offer you both flavor and a healthy dinner. If you run into problems doing this, feel free to consult a nutritionist. They may know of products that will fit your needs.

{ 0 comments... read them below or add one }

Post a Comment